Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ow, my brain.

from www.intelihealth.com:
A migraine usually is a throbbing headache that occurs on one or both sides of the head. The headache typically is accompanied by nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite. Activity, bright light or loud noises can make the headache worse, so someone having a migraine often seeks out a cool, dark, quiet place. Most migraines last from 4 to 12 hours, although they can be shorter or much longer. One unique feature of migraines is an unusual sensation that a migraine is about to occur. This sensation is called a prodrome. Prodrome symptoms can include fatigue, hunger and nervousness. Migraines also have typical aftereffects, such as a feeling of exhaustion that lasts a day or two after a severe migraine headache has faded. Not all people who get migraines have prodromes or aftereffects.

Another unique feature of migraines is an aura. In a typical aura, a person suddenly will develop blurry or distorted vision or will see pulsating lights. These changes in vision will come and go over 15 to 30 minutes and alert someone that a headache is about to begin. Sometimes, auras affect the sense of hearing, smell or taste. Only some people who get migraines have auras, and they don't accompany every headache. An aura also can occur without being followed by a headache. Rarely, migraines can cause unusual neurological symptoms such as dizziness, loss of vision, passing out, numbness, weakness or tingling.

Migraines can be triggered by certain activities, foods, smells or emotions. Some people are more likely to experience migraines when they are under stress.


I woke up this morning, and worked for a few hours before I noticed that my excel spreadsheet was suddenly too shiny to read. I took medicine and laid down right away, hoping and praying that it wasn't what I thought it was. Within 20 minutes, yep, there it was. I couldn't feel my right hand or the right side of my face. That symptom got better as the migraine came on full force. I alternated between dozing, throwing up, and wishing for death over the next 3 hours. And then the worst of it passed, as quickly as it came. I finished working and went to work at Too.

1 comment:

nancy_scraps said...

Well, stinko.

I get auras. Sometimes followed by headaches, sometimes not. Isn't it weird how you feel like someone just flashed a camera flash in your eyes...for about 30 minutes! Yuk. I always head for home and take drugs and head for a dark room when that happens.

Here's hoping you feel better today!