Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Totally frazzled, but still a nice surprise

This morning I woke up, brushed my teeth, let the dogs out, turned on my computer, etc, the normal routine. I logged in, and remembered that my work computer was doing a security update this morning. So, I thought, I'll lay on my bed and pet the dog and listen to the radio, and wait for it to finish.

I woke up about 45 minutes later. Ok, that's ok. I went into my office, got logged in again, and was thinking about coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, when I hear a knock at the door.

It's Tom!

I gave him a hug and apologized for being in my pajamas(!) and he made us coffee while I got dressed. We sat on the porch and had coffee and he told me how things are going. He's doing well there. I don't know if he truly likes it, but it's a life he knows and has figured out how to at least enjoy in a lot of small ways. We had a nice visit, and then he thought he'd better grab some clothes and hit the road. (His civilian clothes live at my house) Now, he just needs the keys to Dave's truck. So I go to get them from the cup on top of the refrigerator.

Where are the @$#%! keys?

I start searching. I check everywhere I can think of. Karlene had gone for a walk, so I can't ask her. I check everywhere again. I know they should be in the kitchen, but I look upstairs again. Finally, Tom finds them in the cookie jar. Now, I swear that I didn't put them there. And actually I don't think I did. I think someone who was helping me put them there for safe keeping.
In fact, I can almost imagine the conversation:

>>mystery helpful person: Hey, I put the keys in the cookie jar.
>>Lisa: Ok!

No idea how they got there. But he found them, he got on his way, and I called into my meeting >almost< in time.

No comments: